In 2002 extensive remains of a 15th century ship were discovered on the banks of the River Usk, in Newport. It is the only example of a vessel from that century. At around 35 metres long it was a mighty ship for its time and had traded between the Iberian Peninsula and southern Britain
Built around 1450, before Columbus was born, this ship marks a change in shipbuilding techniques from the Viking longships, to the carvel construction of the Mary Rose built some 70 year later. Long abandoned on the river bank the ship was recovered timber by timber. Once funding was available, each of the 1700 main timbers were cleaned, recorded and digitised, employing marine archaeologists from nine countries.
The largest timbers will take a further 3 years to preserve before we can consider the reconstruction of the vessel. Meanwhile, the ship is a focus for continuing study of medieval trade for visitors from around the globe. Having recently moved to new premises, it is hoped that the Ship Centre will be open at least 3 days per week and by appointment. Medieval Newport Ship is due to open to the public from July 2015, for more information:
Contact email@example.com for more details.
Unit 20, Estuary Road, Queensway Industrial Estate, Newport, NP19 4SP