The peaceful, rural setting of Llancaiach Fawr Manor belies the turmoil of its early years. Built in 1550 for Dafydd ap Richard it was designed to be easily defended during the turbulent reigns of Tudor kings and queens.
By the start of the Stuart dynasty the Prichards had prospered and the house was extended in 1628 to demonstrate their status. When Civil War broke out between King and Parliament in 1642 Colonel Prichard was actively involved in raising men and money for the Royalist cause in Glamorganshire.
Llancaiach Fawr Manor is a Living History Museum. Visitors step back in time, and enter the Manor restored and furnished as it was in 1645 when local allegiances changed from King to Parliament. The 17th century servants are always thrilled to show off their fine house and have a good gossip. History is brought to life, ordinary people who lived in extraordinary times explain and talk about the folklore and superstition, which ruled their lives.
The tour of the Manor is split over three floors and takes around an hour and a half. Visitors are free to make themselves at home and sit on the furniture as they chat with the servants.
A £1m Heritage Lottery Fund grant covered the cost of building a staircase tower which houses a lift enabling wheel chair users to access areas of the house previously inaccessible to them. The servants quarters in the attic space are also now open to the public when requested on booking.
A Warm Welcome
The Manor is fixed in the 17th Century but all of the facilities required by modern day visitors are provided in the Visitor Centre including an exhibition about the history of the Manor, a gift shop stocking a wide range of gifts, books and jewellery and our licensed coffee lounge and Conservatory Restaurant which serve light snacks and lunches daily from locally sourced, fresh produce.
Daytime and evening tours can be arranged for groups (minimum of 20) and a wide range of catering options are also available including hot and cold buffets, afternoon tea, carvery, historic menu, or 2 – 5 course meals. For menu prices and options, please call our catering manager on 01443 414011.
We would be delighted to tailor your group visit (historical or paranormal) to your needs, based upon travel times and group size. The coach driver is entitled to free admission to the Manor and a meal. There is ample coach parking onsite and we are just minutes away from the main A470. To make a booking or for more information please call reception on 01443 412248
10am – 5pm Tuesday to Sunday year round. Also open Bank Holiday Mondays
Adult £8.95, Child or concession £6.50
Special group rate for Coach Tours Magazine readers £5.50 for groups of 25+
For further information please visit our website at www.llancaiachfawr.co.uk